When is Wisdom Tooth Extraction Necessary? | Oral Surgeon Dallas

Wisdom teeth get their name because they typically begin to emerge within the mouth between 17 and 25 years old, which is the key transition period into adulthood. It’s estimated that around 90% of Americans are born with anywhere between one and four wisdom teeth, with the remaining 10% being born with none (lucky them!). Chances are, if you’re in the majority, it’s likely that you’ll need to have them removed. However, that’s not always the case. Read on to learn when wisdom tooth extraction is necessary.

How Can You Tell if Your Wisdom Teeth are Growing In?

Depending on the positioning of your third molars and whether they’re impacted below the gumline, there are countless signs you could experience that indicate your wisdom teeth are erupting. It’s crucial to keep an eye out for these and to schedule an appointment with an oral surgeon to find out whether they need to be extracted. Some symptoms to look out for include:

When is Wisdom Tooth Extraction Required?

At your examination with an oral surgeon, they will capture X-rays of your mouth to better view the positioning of your wisdom teeth and determine if they need to be removed or not. Wisdom tooth extraction is a preventive measure recommended by most providers to minimize or eliminate the risk of secondary dental health concerns emerging as a result of complications. Some of the reasons why your dentist or oral surgeon may recommend this procedure include:

Depending on your unique situation, your oral surgeon may recommend either a simple or surgical wisdom tooth extraction. In any case, you can rest assured that your comfort will be at the forefront of their mind while developing your treatment plan, making your treatment as comfortable and efficient as possible.

With the right preventive actions when it comes to addressing wisdom tooth pain and symptoms, you can prevent a variety of future oral health concerns from developing. This alone makes fast action well worth it!

About the Author

Dr. Tamir Anver is a highly experienced oral surgeon with both his DDS and MD degrees, making him qualified to remove even the most complexly positioned wisdom teeth! He offers both office-based and hospital-based procedures as well as IV anesthesia to ensure his patients’ comfort. For questions or to schedule a consultation, visit Texas Center For Oral Surgery & Dental Implants’ website or call 972-960-1111.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Experience Outstanding, Expert-Based Care

Nobody treats you better.

I understand the information disclosed in this form may be subject to re-disclosure and may no longer be protected by HIPAA privacy regulations and the HITECH Act.